When considering switching your account from one bank to another, take these questions to ask the prospective bank:
- Do you offer both personal and business accounts?
- What are the fees on the type of account I want?
- What variety of accounts do you offer? For example, do you have multiple account options such as money market accounts or certificates of deposit?
- Do you offer online banking? If so, do you offer online bill pay?
- Do you offer check cards? If so, is there any cost for the card?
- Where are your ATM locations?
- Is your bank part of a larger ATM network where I could access cash throughout the country and abroad?
- What is the minimum balance requirement on the account?
- Do you offer overdraft protection?
- What is your overdraft fee?
- If I have the need to frequently visit the bank, where are your branch locations?
- What are your hours of operation? Do you have extended drive-thru hours? Are you open on Saturdays?
- What other services are available to add on to my account such as remote deposit, mobile banking, payroll processing, the ability to create ACH debit/credit, or credit card processing?
Remember to be specific and to tell the banker exactly what you want out of your account and what functions you need it to have. The more you share, the better he or she can help you and the happier you will be with your new account.
Read more from First Bank & Trust Company on Handshake 2.0.
First Bank & Trust Company, one of the top community banks in the United States, is a diversified financial services firm with office locations in southwest Virginia – serving Blacksburg, Christiansburg and surrounding areas – northeast Tennessee, and the New River Valley and Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Financial objectives are addressed by offering free checking products for personal and business accounts, and assessing lending solutions managed by mortgage, agricultural and commercial lending divisions. Comprehensive financial solutions are available through trust and brokerage service representatives. For businesses, First Bank & Trust specializes in business services, including online banking and online billpay, and business loans.