On July 28, 2012, Handshake 2.0 will celebrate its 4th year!
Of the over 1700 posts published in 4 years – an average of over 400 posts per year - as of July 5, 2012, these are the top ten posts that have provided the most value to the most visitors in the site's history.
2) Blacksburg Makes the List by Z. Kelly Queijo
3) STEAM – Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Mathematics by Georgette Yakman
4) Revitalize Your LinkedIn Profile by Patsy Stewart
5) Making the List – Branding on Twitter by Z. Kelly Queijo
(Posts without authors were created by Handshake 2.0 writers.)
What's to be learned from such a list? First, when Handshake 2.0 was founded 4 years ago, visitors arrived a) 1/3 through direct traffic by typing in the URL or clicking on a link in an email, b) 1/3 through referral traffic, i.e. from links on other sites, and c) 1/3 through search.
Four years later, that 1/3 through search has doubled to 2/3. Google is now and by far the leading source of traffic to Handshake 2.0.
We compiled a list of the top posts in 2011, 3 Takeaways from the Top 10 in 10 Months on Handshake 2.0, and excerpt and add to our observations on the powerful relationship between search and post content.
- People search for solutions to problems.
- If the problem is persistent, the traffic to a problem-solving post will be persistent. Many top posts were written prior to this year – even prior to last year. They are "evergreen content" – of on-going service to others.
- A picture can be worth a thousand words – or a thousand hits. 2 of the top 10 posts, as well as #11, Populating the Top of the Sales Funner Through Social Media, use "show, don't tell" to communicate their messages: they contain explanatory images and infographics.