While I may not currently be in the midst of developing a mobile app, I know that when the time comes, having a network will be critical to my education and execution of a "killer app."
– Gail Billingsley, Executive Director, YMCA at Virginia Tech
Thanks to the generous sponsorship of Coldwell Banker, Townside REALTORS, First Bank & Trust Company, and Hutchison Law Group joining us at Handshake Media, the Network of Women Mobile Application Developers will be treated to a reception for their very first meeting on March 7, 2011 in Blacksburg, Virginia.
"Who will be there?" I've been asked often about the meeting.
Gail Billingsley will be there. She is one of 20 women so far who have responded to the invitation to form A Network of Women Mobile Application Developers in our locale.
I know, or know of, many of the women who have responded. Who I hoped would be there will be there:
- Women who want to get right to it and learn mobile application development.
- Women who have no idea about whether or not mobile app development is for them but are attending in case it is.
- Women exploring the possibility that mobile app development might be a new opportunity for them or for their companies, organizations or institutions.
- Women who want to be part of a network of women who are learning something new and intentionally sharing what they learn with others.
- Leaders in the community – business, government and service – who have no interest in learning mobile app development themselves but want to support the women who undertake the challenge.
And I'll be there! We'll enjoy the reception from 5:30 PM to 6:00 PM. At 6:00 PM, I will make a brief presentation on mobile application development and how our network will begin. We will have plenty of time for questions and answers, and to talk after the presentation. Our current plan is to start the network by beginning training for the first 12 women the week after our meeting.
Women in the Blacksburg, Virginia area interested in joining other women to learn about mobile application development for any of those reasons above – or others! – are invited to the first meeting of the Network of Women Mobile Application Developers. The meeting will be on Monday, March 7, 2011 beginning at 5:30 PM in Blacksburg, Virginia. Please email me, Anne Giles Clelland, firstname.lastname@example.org, for an invitation.
Here's the developing story on the Network of Women Mobile Application Developers. Posts are listed in chronological order and where they appeared, some with descriptive notes.
- I've Got a Company – What I Need Is Company - She Chooses Blog, Bella Magazine
- A Network of Women Mobile Application Developers – Handshake 2.0 – initial statement of the proposal
- A Global Mobile App Development Network– Inside VT KnowledgeWorks – restatement of the proposal
- A Network of Women Mobile Application Developers – Who and How – Handshake 2.0
- A Network of Women Mobile Application Developers – She Chooses Blog – "I’ve depended upon the company of other women and their collective knowledge all of my life…"
- How to Get Started in the Business of Mobile Application Development - Handshake 2.0 – includes a white paper
Coldwell Banker, Townside REALTORS(R) and First Bank & Trust Company are clients of Handshake Media, Incorporated, the parent company of Handshake 2.0.