About the first meeting of the Network of Women Mobile Application Developers, in addition to "Who will be there?", I have been asked, "How will it work?" and, more specifically, "How will you select the first 12 women for training?"
How will you select the first 12 women for training?
I won't select the first 12 women.
They will select themselves.
They'll know who they are. They'll be the ones who want this skill, who have the perseverance and self-forgiveness required to learn something new and difficult, who will take the time and give themselves the time to learn it, who understand and value how women can learn together in groups, who want to participate in the giving and receiving that group membership asks of each individual member, who will take the initiative to form, keep and build groups, and who are willing to teach others.
How will it work?
l will offer a greater context and provide more details at our meeting on March 7, 2011, but here's an overview:
Thanks to the support and sponsorship of Coldwell Banker, Townside REALTORS, First Bank & Trust Company, Hutchison Law Group, and Handshake Media, interested women will attend a complimentary reception and meeting on Monday, March 7, 2011 in Blacksburg, Virginia.
After the meeting on March 7, women who want the initial training will email me, Anne Giles Clelland, email@example.com. I'll send them more specifics about the training that will be held at 6:00 PM on Wednesday, March 16, 2011.
Thanks to the support and sponsorship of VT KnowledgeWorks, the women will be treated to a complimentary meal prior to the beginning of the training.
Thanks to a to-be-named software company's willingness to launch a pilot program in Blacksburg, Virginia, the women will receive free beginning training in the use of that company's mobile application development software via webinar.
Thanks to Ryan Hagan, Shierod Russell and Wesley Ferrell, we will have on-site technical support during the training.
And then we'll see what the 12 self-selected women do next.
Women in the Blacksburg, Virginia area interested in joining other women to learn about mobile application development are invited to the first meeting of the Network of Women Mobile Application Developers. The meeting will be on Monday, March 7, 2011 beginning at 5:30 PM in Blacksburg, Virginia. Please email me, Anne Giles Clelland, firstname.lastname@example.org, for an invitation.
Here's the developing story on the Network of Women Mobile Application Developers. Posts are listed in chronological order and where they appeared, some with descriptive notes.
- I've Got a Company – What I Need Is Company - She Chooses Blog, Bella Magazine
- A Network of Women Mobile Application Developers – Handshake 2.0 – initial statement of the proposal
- A Global Mobile App Development Network– Inside VT KnowledgeWorks – restatement of the proposal
- A Network of Women Mobile Application Developers – Who and How – Handshake 2.0
- A Network of Women Mobile Application Developers – She Chooses Blog – "I’ve depended upon the company of other women and their collective knowledge all of my life…"
- How to Get Started in the Business of Mobile Application Development - Handshake 2.0 – includes a white paper
- Who Will Be at the First Meeting of the Network of Women Mobile Application Developers? – Handshake 2.0
- Also of possible interest is the category Women and Mobile Apps on Handshake 2.0
Coldwell Banker, Townside REALTORS(R) and First Bank & Trust Company are clients of Handshake Media, Incorporated, the parent company of Handshake 2.0.