We ask for your personal guarantee that the content you create for Handshake 2.0 – writing, images, videos and other media – is:
- Original, i.e. created solely by you
- Impeccably researched and factual
- Unpublished elsewhere, i.e. never-before-seen – not on your blog, not in your email newsletter, not in your e-book
Other than first rights to publish your original work, we currently have no other requirements, although we have a strong request that you do not republish your work in full online elsewhere, since search engines may regard that unfavorably for all sites involved. Instead, we ask that you excerpt the piece, then link back to the original post on Handshake 2.0.
For images, we ask that you use the same policy. Feel free to use images you create elsewhere, but include a phrase such as “This image originally appeared on Handshake 2.0” and link “Handshake 2.0” to the post in which the image originally appeared (rather than link to the home page of Handshake 2.0 which can confuse site users on both ends).
For videos, once they are uploaded to video sharing sites such as YouTube, they’re globally available, so we ask that you keep an original video on a private setting until close to the publication date. If you do make the video public, please turn off automatic social media sharing features until after the publication date.
In an age when text can be copied and used verbatim at will – even print can be scanned and the image converted to text – we are thoughtful about the concept of copyright. Further, transgressions can be easily discovered by using a search engine query using key terms from the original piece. Our experience has been that professional ethics reign among content creators online. When another source uses Handshake 2.0’s content, we have been cited as the source. Nonetheless, we enumerate our policies as follows.
- You own the copyright to the content you create for Handshake 2.0.
- You are invited to use the content elsewhere online as an excerpt with a link back to Handshake 2.0, and in print or other media in full with a citation noting its original appearance on Handshake 2.0.
- We do not have an exclusive agreement with you. You are invited to write and/or create content for other publishers. We do not guarantee we will publish the content you submit to us.
- Since most of our content creators are experts and/or thought leaders in their fields, we anticipate they will create original content for multiple venues on related subject matter.
If you have questions we have not addressed, please contact us.